Sunday, January 16, 2011

Meta Post Part Two

I would like Mr. O'Connor and Mr. Bolos to assess at my "The Truth Behind Subliminal Advertising" post.

Overall, I believe that this quarter I have really begun to realize how much of a process blogging can be. You're not always going to write an amazing post and you're not always going to have something to write about. But I believe that finding a median and not being afraid to share your thoughts are really what good bloggers and writers do.

Not always having something to write about has been an issue for me. There are times where I can't come up with anything, and then there are times where I have ten different ideas bouncing around in my head. But that's just the trials and tribulations of being a writer and to improve you have to work on coming up with something great when you think you have nothing at all. I do think I should blog a little more consistently though.

Another thing I can improve is to make my blogs a little more concise. Even with essays, I tend make everything very long. I need to just get to the point or else I can lose the reader's attention. This is something I'll definitely work on for next semester.

I do have to say though that I am proud of how my blog posts have come along this entire semester. I think one of my strong points is that I am able to provide enough historical background or a link that aids the reader in comprehending the topic I'm discussing. For example, in my "In the Interest of National Security" post I quote a New York Times article that describes the controversy of Julian Assange's releasing of 250,000 American diplomat cables. I quoted that,

"The White House said the release of what it called 'stolen cables' to several publications was a 'reckless and dangerous action' and warned that some cables, if released in full, could disrupt American operations abroad and put the work and even lives of confidential sources of American diplomats at risk."

This shows the reader the severity of the situation. My "Fear Sells" post is also another good example when I describe the Broadview Security ads. I wrote,
" the author talks of how Broadview Security airs ads 'that feature a series of scenarios that play on women's darkest fears.' Like some guy a woman met at a party breaking into her house only a couple of hours later. Obviously the commercial is used to show how effective Broadview Security is, but it also strikes a sense of panic in the women viewers. Many of the other Broadview ads follow the same pattern. A woman is alone and defenseless when a someone tries to break into her home, only to be stopped by the Broadview alarm."

I hope these enhance my post for my reader and make everything a little easier to understand.

Another thing I've been working on is coming up with good blog titles that capture my topic and are good to bring traffic to blog (from Google or wherever). Some titles include, "The Truth Behind Subliminal Adveristing, A Modern Day Witch-hunt, and Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." I think as a blogger you need to be able to create catchy titles that also can attract attention to your blog and that's exactly what I've tried to do.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for realizing how important the process is in this endeavor. It certainly does take a lot of practice to explore a new medium of expression.

    Ever heard the phrase, "the medium IS the message"?

    ReplyDelete