Sunday, September 12, 2010

America: Have We Reached Our Peak?

Yesterday was a reminder. A reminder of the wound inflicted permanently upon America. For the rest of our lives, we will remember where we were that day the planes hit those towers. I was seven years old and had just started second grade. I came downstairs the morning of September 11th for breakfast, my blue backpack hiked over my shoulder. The Today show was on the TV above our kitchen table, like every morning, but this time there was a news report regarding an airplane crashing into one of the Twin Towers. And as they were showing a live feed of the burning tower, a second plane flew out of nowhere and crashed into the other tower. I watched as people's lives were destroyed. I watched as a nation was attacked by hatred. But I also watched as a nation came together like it never had before. As I think back to this day, I can help but wonder if this nation can keep continuing to rebound, or will we too receive a fate similar to those that doom great civilizations like the Romans?

In AIS this week, we discussed the typical American story. It begins right near the good/middle fortune mark, not too bad. But then something happens, and the arc dips severely into the bad fortune area. However, soon after, it's a Cinderella story, and the line shoots up, higher than it was when the graph had started. Are we a progressive narrative? Or have we "hit our peak?"

Many claim the post WWII era was our greatest, and now with our economy troubles, we are headed downhill. However, we weren't headed completely uphill prior to WWII. There was the Great Depression and the Civil War prior to that. Or even Pearl Harbor, which in ways can be compared to the 9/11 attacks. Our country was able to bounce back from all of that and still reach a level of greatness and power. So why can't we redeem ourselves now?

It would be so easy for our country to fall, but I honestly don't think we would. Regardless of the politics within our country, we all believe in freedom and human rights. And think that belief and drive and our reputation for recovery will continue to push this nation further and further. We do have the ability to as great as we were back in the 1950s.


1 comment:

  1. Jackie-

    I think your post brings up a great topic and really relates to what we discussed last week in class. I agree with you that I do not think our country will permanently fall. Yes, we have gone through some rough times (as you mentioned), and will definitely go through more, but I believe that we have the ability to bounce back from tough times. Thus far, we have been able to. According to Kurt Vonnegut's life graphs, we have definitely had some dips from wars and economy troubles. Yet, I do not think we have even reached the peak yet. America is a young country and still has plenty of time to grow.

    ReplyDelete